Masjid Al-Dahab (The Golden Mosque)

Masjid Al-Dahab (or The Golden Mosque; filipino: Moskeng Ginto; Malay: Masjid Emas; Spanish: Mezquita del Globo de Oro) is situated in the predominantly Muslim section of Quiapo District in Manila, Philippines, and is considered the largest mosque in Mero Manila. The Golden Mosque was named so because of its dome being supposedly in shining gold. Under the supervision of former Philippine First Lady Imelda Marcos, it was constructed in 1976 for the visit of Libya's President Muammar al-Gaddafi, although his visit ended up being cancelled. It now serves many of Manila's long term Muslim community, and is especially full during Jumuah prayers on a Friday.

The minaret is now completely rusted and the dome is partly rusted. However, renovations are taking place on the mosque.

St. Joseph's School - Pandacan

St. Joseph's School - Pandacan, Manila (SJS) is a private parochial school operated by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila. It is located in the district of Pandacan in the City of Manila, Philippines, established by His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D. in 1955 to provide a school that would enable the children of Pandacan and its neighboring towns an opportunity to receive good Roman Catholic oriented education.

The school's first few years saw the rapid growth in the population of the school, and in 1959, under the direction of Sister Marie Alice Dieltiens, ICM, the school's first principal, a new building was built for the high school level, which would admit only female students.

The school's enrollment continued to grow, however, with some classes being held in make-shift classrooms in the Parish Office building. Thus, with the assistance of parents, the school was able to obtain a loan to build a new building. This annex to the high school building was blessed and opened on November 28, 1971 by H.E. Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D., with Bishop Bienvenido Lopez and Parish Priest Msgr. Victor Serrano.

In 2002, the parish priest of the church gave up the directorship of the school to concentrate on parish work. The Archbishop of Manila, Jaime Cardinal L. Sin, D.D. appointed Rev. Fr. Nolan G. Que, Ph.D., to the post of School Director. Long time St. Joseph teacher Emolyn G. Guamil was appointed Assistant Director in 2004, while Mrs. Elizabeth D. Mendoza was appointed Institutional Principal the same year.

In schoolyear 2005-06, the school opened its multi-purpose gymnasium at what used to be the location of the elementary school chapel. The new gym serves as the main facility for the various physical education-related programs of the school. Also during this schoolyear, Fr. Que was given the task of supervising other schools nearby, including Paco Catholic School, St. Peter the Apostle School, Ermita Catholic School, Pius the X School and Malate Catholic School.

For schoolyear 2007-08, the school is set to change its official school uniform colors for girls from navy blue (skirt and tie) to a dark red plaid (skirt and tie).

Harbor Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays

The Harbor Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays (formerly "Coast Defenses of Manila and Subic Bays") were part of the Philippine Department of the United States Army, prior to, and during, World War II.

In July 1941, these units were commanded by Major General George F. Moore, whose Philippine Coast Artillery Command was headquartered at Fort Mills, on Corregidor. This command included Fort Hughes (Caballo Island), Fort Drum (El Fraile Island), and Fort Frank (Carabao Island) at the entrance to Manila Bay, as well as Fort Wint (Grande Island) at the entrance to Subic Bay. At this time, there were 4,967 troops assigned to the Harbor Defenses.

Manila and Subic Bays were mined by the Asiatic Fleet, stationed in Manila Bay. These minefields were designed to stop all vessels, except for submarines and shallow-draft surface craft.

With the exception of those areas covered by the 60th and 200th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment, the Philippine islands were virtually defenseless against air attack.

Chief of Coast Artillery Major General Joseph A. Green had recommended reassigning elements of the Harbor Defenses to anti-aircraft duty, but this proposal was rejected. The War Department had been intending to send three additional AA regiments and two brigade headquarters, however this was not accomplished before the Japanese invasion in December of 1941.

Gregorio Perfecto High School

In 1947 Mr.Pablo Reyes, principal of Torres High School pushed through with his plan of separating Ismar Annex from Torres High School because of its increasing population. On June 16, 1958 the annex became Ismar High School. This was in accordance with Division Memorandum No.60 s.1958. The new school was supervised by Mr. Fabian Bugayong as second principal, Leonor Zapanta as head teacher and Mr. Aurelio Libao as guidance counselor. There were 66 teachers and a population of 1,425 students.

On September 25, 1958 then mayor Arsenio H.Lacson approved Resolution No. 529 changing Ismar High School to Gregorio Perfecto High School in honor of the late Supreme Court Associate Justice Gregorio Perfecto, one of the signatories of the 1935 Constitution who used to represent Tondo in Congress.

Unfortunately, the building was damaged by an earthquake in 1969, then another one in 1990 that led to the total reconstruction of the school building. The reconstruction lasted for three years. But during the reconstruction period classes went on. The first and second levels were housed at the Tondo Sports Complex, the third year in a vacant lot located at Ricafort St. where makeshift rooms were put up, and the fourth year at the Manuel L. Quezon Elementary School.

The school building was finally restored in 1993. A fire destroyed the third floor on December 6, 1996. The third floor of the school building was restored and was inaugurated on September 17, 1997.

Tondo Man Ay Langit Din

The world's most densely populated district
It has a land area of 5.64 km². with a population of 378,697 (2000); 67,145 persons per km².
Tondo II has a land area of 3.46 km². with a population of 211,610 (2000); 61,159 persons per km².
average residential population density: 64,869 persons per km².
The 6th administrative district which covers the 4 districts of Sta. Ana, Sta. Mesa, Pandacan, San Miguel has a total land area of 5.48 km². with a total population of 374,258 (2000); 68,295 persons per km².
It is the location of a notorious and now closed landfill called Smokey Mountain.
The Divisoria area, also located in Tondo, is a major business center and shopping area where dry goods, kitchen utensils, vegetables and fruits, shoes, clothing, coffee, candles, candies, fishing equipment etc., can be brought--wholesale or retail. Shoe Mart once had a small store here, as well as being the home of Yangco Market, which sells dry goods; the Divisoria Public Market, now rebuilt; and the new 168 Shopping Mall. Ambulant vendors frequent its major and minor streets.
It once was the location of the major Procter and Gamble plant in the Philippines at Vitas Street--now closed and dismantled.
The main terminal of the Philippine National Railways is located at the Tutuban district, which is close to the birthplace of Andres Bonifacio. This is now converted to a mall (Tutuban Center).
West of the district lies the major interisland port of Manila, North Harbor, and the Manila Container Port.
The slaughterhouse (matadero) of the Manila City Government is located also at Vitas Street.
Every third Sunday of January, the Feast of the Sto. Niño of Manila (the Infant Jesus) is celebrated by a procession early in the morning from Tondo Church and winding down its narrow streets punctuated by fireworks.
The Light Rail Transit (LRT) has 2 stations in the Tondo area, namely: Abad Santos and R. Papa.


Lakandula was the hereditary title of the rulers of Tondo. Banaw was the personal name of the Lakandula (? - 1575) recorded in Philippine history at the advent of the Spanish colonization. He was one of the three principal rulers of the Luzon Empire (traditional Chinese: 呂宋國; pinyin: Lǚsòng Guó). The name Banaw and his title Lakándúlâ suggests he was a follower of the ancient animistic religion and not a Muslim like his cousin and half-brother Rajah Suliman of Mainila.

The best way to describe the historical Lakándúlâ (Personal name: Banaw, Christian name: Carlos) is through the 1665 notarized document written as an endorsement of his great-grandson Don Juan Macapagal, Master-of-Camp and Datu of Arayat: Don Carlos Lacandóla, his great-grandfather, was Lord and principal of the town of Tondo, and other surrounding towns, whose natives paid him tribute and vassalage and other recognition as their natural lord, and when ships from China came to this bay, they similarly paid him duties and anchorage fees, he removing their sails and rudder for this purpose, and taking their merchandise by paying half its value at the time and the other half the next year, without any other natives being able to buy anything from the sangleyes but only from the said Lacandola, from which much profit, which he ceded at the coming of the Spaniards to these Islands, they collecting the said tributes and duties for His Majesty.

Lakándúlâ played a crucial role in the fall of the Luzon Empire and the creation of the province of Pampanga. The Spaniards used him in pacifying the last independent Luzon states in what is now the province of Pampanga, namely Lubao and Betis. He further helped the Spaniards in defend their foothold in the archipelago from the invading forces of the Chinese pirate Limahong.

Division of City Schools-Manila

The Division of City Schools-Manila or simply the DCS-Manila is a division under the supervision of the Department of Education (DepEd). It also refers to the three-tier public education system in Manila, Philippines.

The main office of the DCS-Manila is situated at the main building of the Universidad de Manila at the Mehan Garden. The DCS-Manila Superintendent is mandated by Republic Act No. 4196 (now the PLM Charter) to be a member of the six-man Board of Regents of the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila, a model university for all public institutions in the country.

District I
Arsenio H. Lacson Elementary School
T. Paez Elementary School
J. P. Rizal Elementary School
Emilio Jacinto Elementary School
General Vicente Lim Elementary School
Teodoro R. Yangco Elementary School
A. V. Hernandez Elementary School
Manuel L. Quezon Elementary School
Magat Salamat Elementary School.
Delos Reyes Elementary School
J. C. De Jesus Elementary School
Almario Elementary School-Parola Annex
Almario Elementary School
Dr. Juan G. Nolasco High School
Gregorio Perfecto High School
T. Paez Integrated School
Tondo High School

Baybayin or Alibata

Baybayin or Alibata (known in Unicode as the Tagalog script) is a pre-Hispanic Philippine writing system that originated from the Javanese script Old Kawi. The writing system is a member of the Brahmic family (and an offshoot of the Vatteluttu alphabet) and is believed to be in use as early as the 14th century. It continued to be in use during the Spanish colonization of the Philippines up until the late 19th Century. The term baybayin literally means syllables. Closely related scripts are Hanunóo, Buhid, and Tagbanwa.

JASMS High School

The JASMS High School program was started in 2004, as an experimental alternative to the Philippine Women's University's own High School department known as the Junior-Middle Division (JMD). Previous to this, a co-educational high school branch of the Philippine Women's University (PWU) had existed in Quezon City, on the former Highway #54. The introduction of this new high school division near the campus of PWU served to extend the already existing JASMS elementary school.It started with 8 boys, then in mid-year, a girl (a student from Bangladesh) was added to the group for a total of 9.

The JASMS High School had a successful first year.

As of late, the 2006-2007 school year is still in full throttle. The former Sophomore band (now the Junior year band) has thoughts of continuing its music through this school year. The High School students have been participating in in-campus as well as well outside and have won praises and awards for their participation.

Two years after JASMS HS was established, thoughts were set on a Third Year class. 16 new students were added into the new Junior batch, consisting of 6 new boys and 10 girl. This would be a good addition for this group, as the previous year's addition only consisted of 15 new students.

Torres High School

Florentino Torres High School or more commonly known as Torres High School, situated in Tondo, Manila, Philippines, is considered as one of the oldest public schools in Metro Manila.

Torres High School, founded by Mr. James T. Burns, began as an old, dilapidated building along Legarda Street in 1925. It was formerly named as Legarda High School. Its first enrollees were a group of students who were refused admission in the other 3 existing public high schools during that period. A year later, the school was transferred to the Syquia Building at the foot of the Pritil bridge along Juan Luna Street and was renamed Manila West High School. In March 1928, the School gave birth to its first batch of graduates. In the same year, various organizations and clubs were established.

In 1930, many changes took place among high schools in the City of Manila. The names of the schools were named after the first four Filipino jurists of the Philippine Supreme Court by virtue of the resolution of the Municipal Board. From Manila West, it came to be known as Torres High School, after Florentino Torres, one of the foremost Filipino justices. The first Filipino principal was appointed in the person of Mr. Marcelino Bautista.

It was in January 1937, under Mr. Ricardo Castro's administration, when the school formally occupied the Constabulary Barracks in Gagalangin where it is presently located. The school was closed in 1941, when World War II raged. Schools were converted into garrisons, and records were all destroyed.